Music for writing

I couldn't imagine writing without music. It helps to surround me with a barrier to keep our world and its mundane worries out and to transport me to other worlds. I rarely listen to purely instrumental music, but writing sessions are the exception (not always). I like music from all sorts of genres and from all over the world but not many of my favorite bands or singers make it to my writing music lists.

Normally, depending on my mood, I listen to things like Tom Waits, StrayKids, DPR Ian, Dimash, Moloko, Blondie, Sister's of Mercy, Nick Cave (and most rock 'n roll songs from the 60's, rock songs from the 70's, metal from the 80's and 90's, and many of the poppier song from that era too, oh, and musicals and classical music and Bollywood songs. Yeah..., it would likely be hard to find a type of music I didn't at least find one band or song I liked...).

Back to writing music. It needs to have a certain touch of magic and melancholy, a yearning for something or a good, dark mood and beat for battle scenes. Good examples would be Dainheim, Ulvesang and A Tergo Lupi that are sort of  darkfolk/neofolk/ritual folk. Another example would be Villagers of Ioninna City which is sort of psychedelic folk rock. Blackmore's night is great for livelier, upbeat scenes and surroundings. Game music like the score from Dragon Age, Divinity Original Sin, or Shadow Hearts Covenant are wonderful as well, and I definitely have a softspot for the sea shanties of Pillar's of Eternity.

Also, a small update on SoE4. I'm currently a little over 3/4 of the way done and building up to the final battles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Do I Write?